How to maintain your generator in the right way?
Like any automobile engine, you should clean the generator well so that it can be free of dirt and debris. Also, in order to make it to run properly in a long term, then remember to change the oil inside regularly and replace the air filter.
When using the Honda EU3000iS, you should read the Owner’s manual thoroughly especially if you are going to deal with oil changes and other maintenance tasks. You will know the right time for a Honda EU3000iS generator oil change after finished reading the manual.
When changing the oil for your generator, you need to prepare maintenance items.
As below, I’ve listed several necessary products that could help ease your oil-changing process without wasting too much time or effort:
|Item Name||Images||Weight||Item Dimensions|
|Honda 32 oz. 10W-30|
|1.95 lbs.||2.4 x 4.1 x 10.6|
|Camoo Generator Extended Dipstick,|
NO Mess Oil Filter Tube
|4 oz.||5.8 x 4.9 x 1.5|
|Honda 2 Pack Genuine 98079-55846 Spark Plug Air Filter||5 oz.||5.2 x 4.5 x 2|
OEM Outer Filter
|0.64 oz.||4 x 4 x 0.2|
|Honda 2 Pack Genuine 98079-55846 Spark Plug|
for Honda EU3000iS
|3.04 oz.||1 x 1 x 1|
Table of Contents
In this article, I’ve prepared a step-by-step tutorial helping you on how to change the oil and repair the air filter. Don’t mind adding it with your generator maintenance tips!
Firstly, let’s start with cleaning the generator:
- Use a moist cloth to wipe away all the dirt on your Honda generator. For the best result, please clean the engine when it is completely cool.
- For any reason, do NOT pour water on or into your generator.
Now move to the changing the oil step:
- In case you want to drain the used engine oil, then it is best to do when the oil is warm, not hot.
- Make sure the fuel vent and key switch are off; next, remove the oil maintenance cover and place a suitable container beside your generator so that it can catch the used oil.
- Remove the oil drain plug and ceiling washer as well.
- Allow the used oil to fully drain.
- Reinstall the oil drain plug with a NEW ceiling washer after that; then, simply tighten it.
- Remove the dipstick and add 10w-30 oil to bring the oil level to the upper limit of the oil filler neck.
- Don’t know if the oil level is correct or not? Just check to see if the oil begins to run out yet.
- Reinstall the dipstick and wipe up any spilled oil.
- Finally, reinstall the maintenance cover.
Note that handling the used oil can be dangerous; thus, you should wash your hands thoroughly with clean water and soap. Remember, disposing of the used oil must be done properly because it can cause harm to the environment.
If there is a recycling center near your house, you can put the used oil inside a sealed container and take it there.
Never discard it down the drain, in the trash bin, or on the ground.
When it comes to selecting the Honda EU3000iS oil type, you should read safety labels and messages. Watch out for words such as ‘caution’, ‘warning’, and ‘danger’. What is the Honda EU3000iS oil type that you can use?
You can use the motor oil designed for gasoline engines mostly. After 25 hours of use, you will need to change the oil, and after that, you can do it every 100 hours. A quart of motor oil is more than enough. It is also a good idea to get STABIL – the 360 degree oil stabilizer – and mix it in the gas can.
Purchasing the oil for your Honda EU3000iS generator is not hard since it is widely available. Simply ask the local Honda service center to find out their recommended brand of motor oil. You can expect better performance from your generator if you use the suggested Honda EU3000iS oil type.
However, it’s up to you to buy your preferred automobile engine oil.
Next is the time to service the air filter:
- Open the maintenance cover and unsnap the air cleaner cover to access the air filter.
- Remove both filters – the paper filter and foam outer filter – from the air cleaning housing.
- Tap the paper filter on a flat surface to remove particles if it is acceptably dirty. However, in case the paper filter is extremely dirty, then I recommend you to replace it.
- Wash the foam outer filter with warm water and household detergents.
- After the outer filter is clean and dry, please put it inside a reseal-able plastic bag having the fresh oil and seal the bag.
- Squeeze the bag to help the oil penetrates the filter evenly.
- Remove the filter from the bag and lay it on a clean rag.
- Fold the rag over the filter and then press out the excess oil. Keep in mind that your generator will smoke during the initial startup if the filter has too much oil left.
- Before reinstalling two filters, use a clean rag to wipe any dirt from the air cleaning housing. Importantly, don’t let any dirt get into the carburetor inlet.
- Reinstall both filters and the air cleaner cover. Plus, also check if the rubber seal on the air cleaner cover is set exactly in the groove.
- Close the maintenance cover to finish this step.
Significantly, here are some tips aiding you in maintaining the spark plug:
- Cool the Honda EU3000iS generator engine before removing the spark plug.
- Remove the spark plug cover as well as disconnect the spark plug wire in order to access the spark plug.
- Remove the spark plug by availing a spark plug wrench.
- Replace the spark plug if it is fouled, if the electrodes are worn, or if the insulator is cracked or chipped.
- Note down the spark plug gap specification is between 0.7 and 0.8 mm.
- Install the spark plug by hand to avoid cross threading.
- With the old spark plug, tighten it 1/8 turn after the spark plug seats. But, if the spark plug you are installing is the new one, tighten it 1/4 turn after the spark plug seats.
- Reconnect the spark plug wire and reinstall the spark plug cover.
- Close the maintenance cover, lastly.
In this step, I want to remind you that never over tighten the spark plug!
Maintenance Items for Honda EU3000iS Generator
When you want to do any maintenance on your Honda generator, always consider using Honda genuine parts, firstly. According to the Owner’s Manual, all the Honda maintenance items should be checked constantly.
With this Honda genuine oil, the engine of your generator will stay healthy and well-lubricated for a very long time. Engineered for use in high revving 4-stroke engines, Honda SAE 10W-30 can serve the urgent needs of power equipment well.
Not yet, the Honda genuine oil is also designed to meet all requirements for API service classifications SM.
Using the Honda 32 oz. 10W-30 engine oil brings you a lot of advantages. At first, it can protect your investment, prevent your generator from thermal breakdown, and resist viscidity.
If any of you have used other oil for the Honda EU3000iS engine in the past, you’ll surprise at how smooth and easy it will perform with this oil. Additionally, it can be availed as a lubricant for many tools and equipment in your house.
In general, Honda SAE 10W-30 is worth your money.
This tool is made of the high standard quality material: CNC Billet Aluminum. Its exterior is coated with anodized red that helps resist rust and corrosion. With a crisp knurling design for effective anti-skid on the surface, the Camoo magnetic funnel will make your oil installation or removal process more convenient and safe.
With the gas cap with fitting, it’s much easier to add fuel to your running Honda EU3000iS generator. Simply connect the brass hose of the gap with an oil-conveying pipe, and you can add into gasoline in a long distance.
Screw this funnel into your generator for easy, safe and mess free oil change every time. The old oil is drained by slightly tilting the generator. Add the new oil through the funnel. During the operation, the tip of the magnetic oil dipstick can attract and hold onto any ferromagnetic metal shaving.
The Camoo magnetic funnel works with great durability and has an incomparable lifespan. It is compatible with Honda Generator EU1000 EU2000 EU3000 EU1000i EU2000i EU3000i Handi; besides, it as well fits with all products from the Honda GX series, such as GX110, GX200, GX390, etc.
For sure, this oil change magnetic funnel is a necessary accessory for your Honda generator.
The whole Camoo package includes: 1 oil change funnel, 1 magnetic oil dipstick, and 1 gas cap with fitting.
Why replacing the air filter is important? As you may know or not, the generator with the new, clean air filter will work very powerful.
For those who are seeking a good air filter, here I present you a model working compatible with Honda EU3000iS – the Honda 17211-ZS9-A02 Pack of 2 Air Filter Elements. This air filter replacement is easy to install, and its quality could exceed the old one. It can also work well with Honda EB2500C ~ EB3000C ~ EM2500C ~ EM3000C ~ EB3000CK1 ~ EB3000CK2 ~ EU3000IS1 .
Instead of paper, the new Honda filter uses cotton helping reduce the air flow as well as narrow greatly the surface area that often collects dirt and grime before. Generally, the cotton air filter can be reusable – saving your money is one of the best values of this Honda product.
If the air filter 17211-ZS9-A02 is dirty, simply wash and then dry it. Once reinstalled, you still can enjoy the high performance of your Honda EU3000iS engine as always.
Just like the air filter, the outer filter is also a significant item during the oil changing process of Honda EU3000iS generator.
With the support of the 17218-ZS9-A00 OEM outer filter, the generator’s engine will keep running strong. You should reinstall and clean the filter frequently to maintain the high quality performance of Honda EU3000iS.
One thing for sure, this outer filter will balance the air flow and provide the cleanliness that the machine requires.
Apart from the EU3000iS, the 17218-ZS9-A00 OEM filter also fits with other generator engines, like EB2500, EB3000 and EM3000. Before submitting the order for this product, you should consider if your generator is compatible with this outer filter or not.
This is the compatible spark plug (2 packs) that fits well with Honda generator EU3000i and EU3000iS. Operating with high durability, it will keep your engine running smoothly in the finest performance.
The two pack genuine spark plug here is made of premium quality materials that will avoid fouling and corrosion during the engine’s operation.
With the superior conductivity, this spark plug maintains consistent voltage and has a long lifespan. Even though the Honda machine runs under a variety of loads, the spark plug’s stable operating temperature ensures to control the heat at a very low rate.
Using this compatible spark plug, you’ll see the improvement in the engine’s startup, performance, stability and fuel efficiency.
For those who are having the generator at home, you should check or service the spark plug recurrently. If you don’t change a damaged or worn spark plug, it would cause major engine destruction. A few signs you need to replace your spark plug – your generator starts up difficultly, misfires or suddenly stops working.
Try to observe the best time to replace used and old oil to ensure optimum function of your Honda EU3000iS.
Once again, check your user’s manual and read everything. The minutes you spend in reading the manual will save you money as you invest on the right and suitable Honda EU3000iS oil type.